Raspberry Mint Shrub
From Amber Webb of Wigle Whiskey
A shrub is an excellent concentrate of flavor that has been re-popularized in recent years, dating back to the 1600s. Quite the trendy menu item, this tasty cocktail is great with your favorite alcohol or plain soda water and ice.
- 16 ounces raspberries
- 16 ounces granulated sugar
- 16 ounces apple cider vinegar
- 1 bunch of mint
1. In a medium bowl, combine the raspberries and sugar, using your hands to crush the raspberries until completely broken down. Cover and store in the refrigerator to macerate for at least 2 hours and up to 2 days.
2. Combine the thyme and vinegar in a small nonreactive bowl and store in a cool, dark place for at least 2 hours and up to 2 days.
3. Using a rubber spatula, press down on the raspberry mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a medium bowl. Discard the solids. Strain the vinegar through the same sieve. Discard the mint
4. Pour the syrup and vinegar mixture into a Mason jar and store in the refrigerator for a week before serving. Serve the shrub with soda water or make a cocktail with gin and garnish with a lemon wedge.